23. ruj 2014.

Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Buy the book at 
Author's 

Book summary:
The Earth is dying. Darrow is a Red, a miner in the interior of Mars. His mission is to extract enough precious elements to one day tame the surface of the planet and allow humans to live on it. The Reds are humanity's last hope.
Or so it appears, until the day Darrow discovers it's all a lie. That Mars has been habitable - and inhabited - for generations, by a class of people calling themselves the Golds. A class of people who look down on Darrow and his fellows as slave labour, to be exploited and worked to death without a second thought.
Until the day that Darrow, with the help of a mysterious group of rebels, disguises himself as a Gold and infiltrates their command school, intent on taking down his oppressors from the inside. But the command school is a battlefield - and Darrow isn't the only student with an agenda.


        There are some things that will make me read a certain books, like recommends from my girls or some really amazing review, but one thing that makes me go and add book on my wishlist is when Keertana puts that book on her "books that linger" shelf. It makes my heart go wild. Red Rising made its way to that shelf and it also made it to my favorite shelf.

         But Red Rising wasn't like that when I started reading. First thing I noticed that this book has a bit different writing. It was a lot of slang in it, and that slang was unknown to me so it took me some time to get used to it and to understand it fully. Once I did I couldn't but turn pages. Another thing is while we cannot place this book in epic fantasy, as it's actually partly dystopia the writing had that note. It was really nicely detailed and while this is not a book that you read in one sitting it for sure is one that lingers.

        That dystopian part of this book would be that we're in the future. People have found the way to inhabit other planets of Solar system and we're placed in Mars. There people are color-divided. Darrow, our main character here, is a teen boy from our point of view but there he is already a slave and married. His family, Reds, are slavers in the society, while Golds rule everything. The catch is that Reds don't know what's happening on surface and once Darrow survives some hard times he finds himself on the surface, where world is much different.

         Red Rising is also mix of lots of things, mythology, battlefields, politics and it was all nicely crafted that even though you per say don't like politics you are eager to understand it. Also all elements fit together and really made sense. But it's not only men's world here, you also get nice female kick ass girls and with all that a really nice and slow-building romance. My favorite thing is that you also get twist and turns that you didn't see coming.

        All in all, this book was like written for my desires, and even though I struggled at the start still this book has got another fan.

Rating: 4.5 stars.

Until the next time,
**Copy of this book was provided by the publisher, Hodder & Stoughton, via NetGalley. Thank you!

Broj komentara: 28:

  1. Yay! So happy you tried this and loved it Tanja!! I can't wait for book two!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. Wow this book sounds pretty kick ass. I mean fantasy style world building, slow burning romance, and twists and turns? Count me in!

    Great review. =)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. I've heard good things about this. I wouldn't normally pick this up on my own, but I'm really curious now.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I'm thrilled to see that you were a fan of this book too Tanja. I just started my copy this morning and I'm definitely struggling with the beginning too, but thank for the heads up to push through it. I hope I end up loving it just as much as you did! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. It's great that there are so many things mixed in one book. I read so many wonderful reviews about this one and I confess that I'm really curious to try it too. Great review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Sounds great minus the beginning which might do me in

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. I've heard good things about this one. I'm glad you worked through the slang and enjoyed!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. Glad that despite a rocky start this book ended up being a winner for you Tanja! I've heard nothing but amazing things about it, so I'm hoping to have time for it sometime soon:) Really looking forward to meeting Darrow!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. I've heard so many good things about this one and I promise that ONE DAY I will make time to go buy this one and set down to read it! Great review :) xx

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. Every review for this book has been shouting at me to "READ IT NOW"! And now with your review, I'm even more excited, Tanja!
    I must read it!
    Lovely review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. I need to read this one. I have read some fantastic reviews and I like that it is smart and sophisticated.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. I've heard this compared to novels like The Hunger Games and Ender's Game which makes me SO excited! The world-building and writing here sound absolutely incredible, and I can't wait to experience it for myself. Thanks for sharing Tanja, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes it has some elements of HG but much darker and more cruel! Thanks, Zoe :)

      Izbriši
  13. I'm thrilled you enjoyed this one, Tanja, as I did too! I was so pleasantly surprised by the depth offered by this world and I just neeeeed the sequel already!! ;) Fantastic review, dear!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  14. I have seen a couple of reviews of this book prior to this! It seems really popular, and probably for good reason. I am glad to know it is a memorable book - we do need more books like this, I think. I am always unsure though, when it is hard to place them in a certain genre. I will think about it.

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...