13. tra 2012.

The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis

Anna and Abel couldn’t be more different. They are both seventeen and in their last year of school, but while Anna lives in a nice old town house and comes from a well-to-do family, Abel, the school drug dealer, lives in a big, prisonlike tower block at the edge of town. Anna is afraid of him until she realizes that he is caring for his six-year-old sister on his own. Fascinated, Anna follows the two and listens as Abel tells little Micha the story of a tiny queen assailed by dark forces. It’s a beautiful fairy tale that Anna comes to see has a basis in reality. Abel is in real danger of losing Micha to their abusive father and to his own inability to make ends meet. Anna gradually falls in love with Abel, but when his “enemies” begin to turn up dead, she fears she has fallen for a murderer. Has she? 

Award-winning author Antonia Michaelis moves in a bold new direction with her latest novel: a dark, haunting, contemporary story that is part mystery, part romance, and part melodrama.

Few days ago our quote of the week was from this book. So we should write a review, right? Well, here you go. 

Have you ever read the book that you could find emotions on every singe page of it? No? Me neither. Until now. Don't worry I won't turn this into pathetic review, but I just want to prepare you. 

This book is special because of a lot of thing. Here you have story within a story. Story about Anna and Abel but also Abel will tell you one really special story. Both are beautiful and you'll love them. I'll tell you about both. 
First story about Abel and Anna. Is house with blue light a perfect one? Or not? This book will make you think about that. Anna and Abel are both going to the same High School, they knew about each other but they never talked to each other. Until one moment. Soon enough she enters into his world, but is he telling her everything? This book is so unpredictable until the last page. I really didn't see that coming at the end.
I want to tell you about other story, about Princess. I'm huge lover of fairy tales so you can only imagine my happiness when I've discovered one in this book. From the beginning of the story about Princes till meeting Rose girl and the dog I really enjoyed. Because these stories are connected I couldn't wait to hear the rest of the story. Antonia did the most amazing job. Writing story about Abel and Anna is really success but writing another fairy tale in this story is stunning. Even if you're thinking that you're too old for that kind of stories, trust me you are not. 

I'm sorry if I've confused you with this review, but it's hard to explain everything that I liked and not telling you a lot about story itself at the same time. Just keep in mind that this story is really something you need to read. 

Don't know who has translated this book into English, but whoever did that deserves an award. It's unwritten rule that translations are rarely as good as originals and I can confirm that. If the original version of this story is better than this translateed I can't help but wonder how this book isn't popular? I also wonder how many great books are out there waiting to be translated and found. I know that I'll keep my eyes open. 

Just one more thin I want to add and that is my favourite quote: 
Just a tiny little pain, 
Three days of heavy rain,
Three days of sunlight, 
Everything will be alright,
Just a tiny little pain. 


Until the next time

Broj komentara: 10:

  1. A great review, and I really like the moral of your review, many books are still waiting, and when I think about that immensity of books just witing to be found...I feel as if I have to read them all :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. Yap, but you know too many books, too little time. Thank you! :)

    btw Svidjaju mi se slike na tvom blogu :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Following back! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    Amber @ Fall Into Books

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I can't wait to have time to rea it! I'm so busy with studying right now I hardly have time to read short stories... And Lichgates seems so amazing.


    Disincentive @ (read, watch, listen) - reviews

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I don't read many contemporary books, but this one actually sounds interesting. It sounds like it's a heartbreaking story. And I love books that make you feel all the emotion and that are unpredictable. Thanks for the review!

    P.S. I'm a new follower here! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Hi Linny!:) Thank you for following us.
    I think you'll like this story. it isn't usual YA novel.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. Wow! We're lucky then :D
    Taste reveal material is coming out tomorrow! So don't miss it, as it's really amazing. Really :D

    Disincentive @ (read, watch, listen) - reviews

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...